Monday, December 17, 2012

10 Things I Liked about The Hobbit: AUJ, and 10 I Didn't

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey hit theaters early Friday morning. I was there with my 3D glasses, prepared for a HFR (high frame-rate) adventure.
Is The Hobbit really worth all the hype? Was the HFR terribly distracting? Will this really work with 3 movies?

While I won't be giving a review just yet (that may come after my second viewing), I have compiled a list of the 10 things I did and didn't like about The Hobbit.

Warning! The following post is riddled with spoilers. To avoid ruining an amazing movie, read this post after viewing the film. 
10 things I liked (not in any specific order):
1) The Lonely Mountain. This mountain was downright amazing! My mouth literally dropped open when I saw the mines. You never truly realize just how big this mountain is until you see it on screen. And the amount of gold! Even I hadn't thought there'd be quite that much.
2) The Battle of AzanulbizarThis flashback to the great battle between the goblins and the dwarves was just as it should've been. Massive! Thousands of dwarves pitted against thousands of goblins. Who could ask for more?
3) Martin Freeman. This guy gives even Ian Holm a run for his money.
4) The 13 dwarves. A combination of silliness, sternness, warriors, and little kids, these guys alone will make you want to see this movie again and again. My only complaint was that several of these dwarves had only one line. With Bombur ending up with none.
5) Dwarf songs! With Smash the Dishes, and the Misty Mountain song, these will make you smile every time you hear them.
6) Riddles in the dark. Gollum and Bilbo go back and forth in an awesome riddle game. While some riddles are cut out from the book, the riddles left in are some of the best.
7) Goblin Town. A maze of ladders, bridges, passages, and catwalks. It's amazing none of the company died in the falls they took.
8) The trolls. Snot aside, the trolls were one of my favorite parts. And the epic battle that commenced after Bilbo's capture was great!
9) Wargs! Maybe not the most realistic things ever, but with snarling rage they hunt down the Company as only wargs can. And with the secret Weathertop base, AWESOME!
10) Bunny-sled for the win! Radagast and his bunny sled get plenty of screen time in the 2:49 movie. Racing about the rocks with wargs in hot pursuit, Radagast almost causes more problems when he's trying to fix one.

Just for fun, one more!
11) Howard Shore's musical masterpiece. Purely brilliant!

There were plenty more great things about this film, but I have limited myself to only 10 (with a little extra). Now read my disappointments.

10 things I didn't like (in no particular order):
1) Azog. Not only was he a rather fake looking character, I really didn't like how he lived through the Battle of Azanulbizar. Of course they needed the sub-plot, but to go completely against Tolkien's writing, that's a bit of a stretch.
2) Continuity with Tolkien. Not just the Azog idea, but several different instances bugged me during the movie. But for anyone less Tolkien-geeky than me, you should be fine.
3) Troll snot. Was that really necessary? I don't think so.
4) Bilbo stalls the trolls instead of Gandalf. While the stalling by Bilbo was hilarious, I would've preferred Gandalf using his voice to trick the trolls.
5) Long fall. You okay? After several long falls in Goblin Town, through jagged rocks and splintery wood, all  the dwarves stand up, dust themselves off, and keep on going. And not one dwarf lost a weapon during the film. Except for...
6) Thorin loses his Oakenshield. Why couldn't that eagle have picked it up too. Maybe they'll mysteriously find it again in the second movie. Maybe Azog will have it. Hmm.
7) How Bilbo found the ring. I wish he had found it the way Ian Holm did in FOTR.
8) A wee bit too much Elijah Wood. If his part had been cut in half, the intro would've been much better. We already knew he was gonna go surprise Gandalf, take out the obvious, PJ.
9) No sneak peek at the end. Maybe only Marvel does that, but I would've loved to see a mini trailer at the end of the film.
10) The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug. As the theater became light again, I wished I could see that second movie so bad! Of course, this wasn't a problem with the film, it's a problem with me.

Hope you liked my top and bottom 10! If you haven't gotten anything out of this, I hope you get this: GO SEE THIS MOVIE! I was completely speechless at the end. Literally. And I hope you are too.

No comments:

Post a Comment